Famous Explorer Martin Johnson Seriously Injured In Plane Crash

Plane With 13 On Board Hits Iron Mountain

SAUGUS - 1/14/37 - During drizzling rain Tuesday, John Wood, caretaker at the Dulin Ranch three miles east of town heard an airplane motor begin to sputter and stop suddenly. This was followed by a loud crash sounding like an explosion. Mr. Wood at once came to Newhall and reported to the Sheriff's substation and then news of the crash of the airline on top of Stone Mountain was flashed to the world.

The crash came at 11:15 as Pilot WW Lewis attempted to take the plane to the Burbank airport in fog. He had "lost the radio beam" when he got to the east side of it, and was flying at come 2000 feet, having already flashed his signal for the passengers to get ready for landing. The ceiling here was 1000 feet, but would have permitted an emergency landing at the Saugus airport. Suddenly the mountain loomed before him and Lewis with lightning like thought, shut off the motors and "pancaked" on the side of the mountain, only a short distance from the lookout station. The thirteen occupants of the plane were thrown in a heap, and one, James Bradebon, Cleveland, Ohio was instantly killed. Martin Johnson, would famous traveler and explorer, was badly hurt, dying, Wednesday morning. All the rest of the group received severe injuries, among them Mrs. Johnson, wife of the explorer, C.T Owner, co-pilot, and A.L. Loomins, Omaha, Nebraska, Arthur Robinson, of Rochester, NY, the least hurt of all, worked his way down the mountain toward Olive View Sanitarium, where he met a rescue party of all the doctors of the Sanitarium, the crash having been reported there by some patients in an outside cabin, high on the mountainside.

The first reports here placed the crash in Placerita Canyon, and a large party of officers, reporters and others rushed out that way, planning on walking, or wading to the wreck. After the correct location was learned, systematic arrangements were made to get to the plane, but the rain, which continued all day, hampered operations, and it was not until past midnight that the victims were finally brought down from the mountainside by mule teams and buckboard. A tractor was also utilized to carry some of them it was stated.

Besides those names above, the other passengers and crew were: Herbert Hulse, Peru, IL, R.E. Spencer, Chicago, T. Tilinghast, Hartford, CT; Miss Leta James, Los Angeles; R.T. Anderson, Atlantic City, NJ; Stewardess Esthor Jo Connor, Glendale; Pilot Lewis was also badly hurt but recovered in time to stand guard over the mail until it was turned over to rescuers.

Hundreds of people from Newhall and all around, rushed to the nearest possible place to get to the wreck, but most of them gave it up. Curiosity seekers, however, kept coming, all afternoon, and through the night. Hundreds of reporters were everywhere and some of them must have had strange experiences.

The wreck is plainly visible from Newhall and all day Wednesday, telescopes and field glasses were used to view the scene. The plane lines exactly between the lookout tower and Newhall, and is very easily located.

Lewis was in a fog bank when the plane crashed. There was no wind and at the time of the crash it was drizzling rain, which was probably turning to snow on the mountain, but not when the crash came.

Pierre Dariues, Forestry and Fire Warden, organized the rescue party to go up the trail, but only horses or mules could make the trip. It was much easier to get down off the hill than to get up with any adequate means of transportation, which accounts for the long delay in rescuing the victims of the crash. The spot could be reached from almost any direction on foot, but by other means was not so easy.